Subject Guide - Education & Teacher Education
- These resources are only a sample of what may be available.
- Search the Online Catalog and Databases for more!
- Try EBSCO Discovery Service for One-Stop Searching! Searches the catalog and most of the RPCC Library databases.
- To get started, try Research and Study Help. Find help for researching and writing papers, and documenting and citing sources!
- Visit How to Access Library Resources and How to Use Library Resources for more help.
Visit the eBook Collections page for links to thousands of ebooks from several ebook providers. RPCC ebooks are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Students will be prompted to login with their Library User ID or Alt. ID, and PIN to access these ebooks from off-campus.
Suggested Streaming Videos
- Aspects of Child Development:Ages 4 to 11
- More Time to Teach
- Redefining Special Education and Student Support for Today's Teacher
- Study of the child: Theories of Development
Special Topics: Resources on Notable Educational Psychologists
- Try Biography In Context or Credo Reference for various resources on the names listed below and others.
- Fifty Key Thinkers in Psychology, 2004, an e-book by Noel Sheehy.
- Childhood and Society, by Erik H. Erikson
Call number: BF 720 .S63 E75 1993
- Erik H. Erikson: The Power and Limits of a Vision, by Paul Roazen
Call number: RC 438.6 .E75 R63 1997
- Identity’s Architect: A Biography of Erik H. Erikson, by Lawrence Friedman
Call number: BF 109 .E7 F74 2000
- Lawrence Kohlberg’s Approach to Moral Education, by F. Clark Power, et al
Call number: LC 311 .P69 1989
- Moral Development, Moral Education, and Kohlberg: Basic Issues in Philosophy, Psychology, Religion, and Education, edited by Brenda Munsey
Call number: BF 723 .M54 M684 1980
- The Philosophy of Moral Development: Moral Stages and the Idea of Justice, by Lawrence Kohlberg
Call number: BF 723 .M54 K62 1981
- The Farther Reaches of Human Nature, by Abraham H. Maslow
Call number: BF 637 .S4 M368 1993
- The Right to Be Human: A biography of Abraham Maslow, by Edward Hoffman
Call number: BF 109 .M33 H63 1999
- The Third Force: The Psychology of Abraham Maslow, by Frank G. Goble
Call number: BF 698 .G56 1970
- Building Understanding Together: A Constructivist Approach to Early Childhood Education, by Sandra Waite-Stupiansky
Call number: LB 1139.25 .W35 1997
- Conceptual Development: Piaget’s Legacy, an e-book, edited by Ellin Kofsky Scholnick.
- The Language and Thought of the Child, 3rd Edition, by Jean Piaget
Call number: LB 1139 .L3 P5 2002
Local Resources for Special-Needs Children and Their Families
- Office for Citizens with Developmental Disabilities, within the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, includes the EarlySteps and other programs, providing services and resources to families with children with medical conditions that may result in developmental delays.
- Families Helping Families: “A Louisiana Network of Family Directed Resource Centers”
- Bayou Land Families Helping Families, serving Assumption, Lafourche, St. Charles, St. James, St. John, St. Mary, and Terrebonne parishes.
- Families Helping Families of Greater Baton Rouge
- Families Helping Families of of Greater New Orleans
- Pyramid Community Parent Resource Center
- Special Education: Know Your Rights, from LouisianaLawHelp.org
- Students with Disabilities: Louisiana Department of Education
Print Resources on the Shelves in the RPCC Library on the Gonzales Campus
Selected Journals, Magazines, and Newspapers (Print Edition)
- Psychology and Education
- Educational Leadership, available full-text online from 1974 to the present from these databases:
Browse the Print Books, DVDs, and Other Shelved Resources by Call Number
- BF 712 to BF 724 – Developmental psychology.
- BF 721 to BF 723 – Child psychology.
- HF 5549.5 .T7 – Computer-assisted instruction (Employees-training of).
- L – Education.
- LA – History of education.
- LA 201 to LA 398 – History of education – United States.
- LB – Theory and practice of education.
- LB 1028.3 to LB 1028.8 – Educational technology.
- LB 1049.9 to LB 1050.75 – Teaching reading.
- LB 1050.9 to LB 1091 – Educational psychology.
- LB 1139.2 to LB 1139.5 – Early childhood education.
- LB 1140 to LB 1140.5 – Preschool education. Nursery schools.
- LB 1141 to LB 1489 – Kindergarten.
- LB 1501 to LB 1547 – Primary education.
- LB 1555 to LB 1602 – Elementary education.
- LB 1705 to LB 2286 – Education and training of teachers and administrators.
- LC – Special aspects of education.
- LC 8 to LC 59 – Forms of education; self-education; home schooling; informal education; alternative education; etc.
- LC 65 to LC 245 – Social aspects of education.
- LC 189 to LC 214.53 – Educational sociology
- LC 1099 – Multicultural education.
- LC 1200 to LC 1203 – Inclusive education.
- LC 3991 to LC 4000 – Gifted children and youth.
- LC 4001 to LC 4806.5 – Handicapped, disabled youth and children.
- LA – History of education.
- QA 101 to QA 145 – Elementary mathematics (including basic mathematical concepts for elementary grades).
Suggested External Websites
- ED.gov: U.S. Department of Education, “ED’s mission is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access.” The agency provides data and statistics, information on key educational issues, and more.
- EDSITEment! The Best of the Humanities on the Web offers lesson plans and more.
- Education World, offers articles, lesson plans, professional development, technology, and other education resources.
- IES: Institute of Education Sciences a division of the U.S. Dept. of Education, this agency provides information and data on education research, practices, and policies.
- Louisiana Department of Education, provides resources for certification, teaching, assessment, and more.
- Technology Planning, from Education World, offers information on conferences, workshops, and more.
- Tools for Student-Centered Learning, Free tools and resources from Intel Education, this offers Online thinking tools, teaching and learning resources, and more.
- Educational Psychology News, From ScienceDaily, “your source for the latest research news.” Includes news, articles, video, images and book lists.
- Educational Psychology, this section of K12 Academics offers a wealth of information. The home page also lists information related to disorders and disabilities.
Diversity in Education
- Classroom Diversity and Academic Success, from education.com, this site offers information focusing on cultural, ethnic, and gender issues.
- Diversity in Education, from Education World, this section offers resources related to varied forms of diversity, including cultural, gender, special education, and more.
- ISER: Internet Special Education Resources, is national directory of special education and special needs services, providers and products.
- OSERS: Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, from ED.gov this resource “is dedicated to improving results for infants, toddlers, children and youth with disabilities ages birth through 21” and focuses on information and resources addressing the IDEA 2004 (Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act).
Teaching Across and Within Disciplines
- STEAM: A Framework for Teaching Across the Disciplines, “STEAM = Science and Technology interpreted through Engineering and the Arts, all based in Mathematical elements.”