Subject Guide - Foreign Languages
- These resources are only a sample of what may be available.
- Search our Online Catalog and Databases for more!
- Try EBSCO Discovery Service for One-Stop Searching! Searches our catalog and most of our databases.
- To get started, try Research and Study Help. Find help for researching and writing your papers, and documenting and citing your sources!
- Visit How to Access Library Resources and How to Use Library Resources for more help.
- Dictionary of Louisiana French : As Spoken in Cajun, Creole, and American Indian Communities, 2010, in eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- French in Action: A Beginning Course in Language and Culture, 2012, in eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Modern Languages Study Guides: No Et Moi, 2017, in eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Irregular Verbs Up Close, 2011, in eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- A Reference Grammar of Spanish, 2010, in eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Spanish Verb Tenses, 2nd ed., 2010, in eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
Visit the eBook Collections page for links to thousands of ebooks from several ebook providers. RPCC ebooks are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Students will be prompted to login with their Library User ID or Alt. ID, and PIN to access these ebooks from off-campus.
French and Spanish
Oxford Reference: offers bilingual dictionaries, including Oxford Business French Dictionary: English-French, Oxford Business French Dictionary: French-English; Oxford Business Spanish Dictionary: English-Spanish , and Oxford Business Spanish Dictionary: Spanish-English.
The following resources are suggested to help students find articles and other information sources to be used for reading and translation practice as well as vocabulary building.
Vente et Gestion: Full-text articles from French language business journals.
L’Encyclopédie Découverte: A full-text French language version of World Book Online.
Fuente Académica: Full-text articles from multi-discipline Spanish language scholarly journals.
Referencia Latina: Offers content from various sources including reference sources, magazines, and more.
Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos: A full-text intermediate Spanish-language version of World Book Online.
aulaPlaneta: Banco de contenidos: A full-text Spanish-language encyclopedia.
Suggested Streaming Videos
Browse for more videos from Films on Demand on Art and Architecture.
What's on the Shelves in the RPCC Library on the Gonzales Campus
Browse for Resources by Call Number
- PC 2001 to PC 3761 – French.
- PC 2065 – Study and teaching
- PC 2640 – Dictionaries
- PC 4001 to PC 4977 – Spanish
- PC 4065 – Study and teaching
- PC 4640 – Dictionaries
To find more items in the catalog, search for subject, “French language instruction” OR “Spanish language instruction”.
Suggested External Websites
- BBC Languages, offers instruction in multiple languages, with audio, video, interactive activities, and more. While the site indicates that it is no longer being updated, the content is still useful and free!
- Dictionarist, an online talking dictionary that provides translations to and from 14 languages. Note that the word that is entered for translation is spoken, not the result.
- Duolingo offers “Free language education for the world,” including French, Spanish and other languages. Includes apps for Apple and Android. Sign-up is required, but it is free!
- Français interactif: a French Program from University of Texas, Austin, with audio, video, and PDF downloads.
- Learn a Language a free comprehensive guide to learning eight foreign languages including French and Spanish. Includes resources on grammar, common phrases, alphabet, cultural information, and more.
- Microsoft Translator provides translations between dozens of languages.
- PROMT-Online includes free downloads, dictionary, text-to-speech, etc.
- Study Spanish offers free Spanish tutorials at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels.